IT security and reliability: the two pillars of Strateo
Encryption and intrusion-detection systems meet the highest standards guaranteeing optimum confidentiality for the Bank's clients. These systems are unreadable by third parties. All data and documents are constantly backed up to ensure their enduring safety.
In addition, Strateo has its Internet systems audited every day by one of the world's leaders in Internet security: Netcraft and Thawte.
A web-based bank such as Strateo has back-up IT systems in order to avoid any interruption of service and to offer constant accessibility.
Every new client receives three unique codes and a Strateo ID. The logon, password and Strateo ID are used to access Strateo’s secure sites and a third password (a 'confirmation code') enables confirmation of banking and trading transactions.
Accounts at Strateo are blocked after the third introduction of an erroneous code. Personal data (name, address, etc.) are never communicated to third parties, except in the cases mentioned in the general terms and conditions of Strateo.
Reliability and stability
Strateo offers all the guarantees of a bank that is part of a major financial group: the Crédit Mutuel Arkéa Group.
Protection fund for deposits and financial instruments
Strateo is member of Esisuise, the Swiss deposit guarantee system. Strateo clients benefit from the Swiss Banking security standards, which include privileged deposits per creditor in case of bank default.
What is the deposit guarantee system?
In the event of the institution's bankruptcy, Swiss deposit guarantee system offers you protection. Find out more
What does that mean in practical terms?
- When a Swiss bank becomes bankrupt, bank deposits of up to CHF 100 000 per depositor and bank are given preferential treatment. The preferential treatment and protection apply only per depositor and bank. If a client has more than one account with the same bank, the balances are added together, with the total amount deemed to be preferential and protected limited to CHF 100 000. Preferential treatment and protection are granted regardless of whether the entity/person is domiciled in Switzerland or abroad.
- Cash balances of private individuals, commercial enterprises and public-sector offices; e.g. personal accounts, savings accounts, investment accounts, salary accounts, numbered accounts, deposit accounts and current accounts.
- Medium-term notes held in the name of the bearer at the issuing bank
- Strateo manages the securities of its clients in a securities (custody) account. This includes collecting dividends or interest and exercising subscription rights. The securities remain the property of the client throughout and are, accordingly, not affected if the bank goes bankrupt. In the event of a bank going bankrupt, the bank’s clients can demand their securities back from the bank or transfer them to another institution.
The list of members can be consulted here.
Some tips for your own protection on internet
Passwords and codes
- Never give your passwords and codes to third parties, not even your close relatives whom you trust. When you open an account with several account holders and/or authorised representatives, Strateo sends each person their personal passwords and codes.
- Change your passwords regularly and follow our 'Seven golden rules for a safe password'. To read them, visit www.strateo.ch and click on 'Your preferences'. Then click on 'Passwords and security' and 'Confirmation code' in the section 'Passwords & security'.
- Always log out with the 'Log out' when you leave your computer or when you surf to other sites, instead of just closing your browser.
Your computer (PC or Mac)
- Avoid using public computers (e.g. those in a cybercafé).
- Use modern anti-virus software, which is regularly updated. Make sure that your anti-virus software automatically and on a daily basis checks to see if there are any updates available.
- Use a firewall to keep unauthorised persons from gaining access to your computer through the Internet.
- Keep the software on your computer up-dated (Windows Update for PC / Software Update for Mac). Check weekly to see if updates are available, as these can increase the security of your computer.
Contact your computer specialist for a detailed explanation, and installation if necessary, of the appropriate software.
Should you nevertheless have a virus on your computer, be sure to remove it and then change your passwords immediately. You can also always request new passwords from Strateo. We will then temporarily block the Internet access to your account.
- Do not open email attachments unless you were expecting them.
- Email attachments with jokes can also contain viruses or other unwanted software, even if you know the sender. Make sure that your anti-virus software also scans email attachments. Activate if necessary the anti-virus mail filter of your Internet provider.
- Strateo will never ask for bank account numbers, passwords or codes by email.
When you call our Helpdesk with a specific question concerning the execution of your orders, they will ask for your account number. For orders by telephone, they will ask for your PIN code on your Strateo ID.
If you notice any anomalies in emails or on our site, please contact our Helpdesk immediately by email at email@example.com or call +41 (22) 715 20 20.